Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Getting Started....blogging and school

For those of you who are visiting my blog for the first time, you're in good company, because it's my first time as well.  I'm trying this out, and we'll see how it goes. 

Anyway, this is the second week of school and it's going fantastic.  God is showing me some amazing things, and I am continuing to be refined.  My favorite class is pastoral theology with Dr. Koessler.  It's amazing!  He continually challenges my thinking.  He reminds us that we often start with pragmatics instead of theology when defining the role of a pastor.  What does the Bible inform us about  being a pastor?  What is the proper balance between preparing theologically and practically?  How should a pastor be trained?

Today is Tuesday so we had president's chapel.  Dr. Nyquist started a series on Hebrews 11.  I was eagerly awaiting for today with high expectations since he announced his series last week, and I was not disappointed.  I'm not really going to go into what he talked about, but here are some of my thoughts:

In what way are you practically living by faith?  Why is living by faith so hard?  If it is impossible to please God without faith, how often are we doing things in vain?  Is there anything you are doing in your life right now that takes faith?

Dr Nyquist said:

"God's looking for FAITH, not EXCUSES.
God's looking for FAITH, not ACCOMPLISHMENTS.
He's looking for what pleases Him, not what promotes us."

No comments:

Post a Comment